Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The good advice you just didn't take...

Okay- to start this off, I am very upset that I did not take Spencer's advice and back up my blogs on my computer becuase my Monday's post lost over half of my entry. This would make sense considering my title was Reflexivity and there was absolutely nothing about that in the writing. So basically to sum up my 2 other paragraphs, i went on to talk about the incorporation of the text into the work and then went on to speak about the self reflexivity of text. How the text from the incorporated comic reflected on the central plot and how then that the images from that comic differed from the frame. As well i want on to speak of this reflexivity addressing the importance of comics in the Watchmen world and how that then applies to our reality. To end the section I addressed the intriguing idea of self reflexivity as a literary device and how this might indicate that then the Graphic Novel was a form of literature, although not in the American Cannon. 
Well I hope that sheds some light on the ideas i wanted to present last time. 

Now on to newer ideas. 

I have finished Watchmen and McCloud.  I don't have much to say about McCloud because well, it was just a repetition of what he has already tried to teach. A mere echo of the first chapters. I guess it could be seen as a good summary but, really not necessary. 

As for Watchmen,
Manhattan/ Jon just blew up Rorschach??? That caught me off guard and well it was rather unsettling. After the whole exposition of the plot, getting closer to understanding Rorschach and discovering his importance to society he is blown to bits BUT THEN! his journal will still end the peace the world has found presumably. Needless to say, the ending left me a little flat. I did enjoy though the interesting unsolved entanglement between The comedian and Laurie's mother, it addresses the complexity of life that Manhattan was attempting to understand. Overall I enjoyed the obscurity of the novel and the chaotic reality that it was written into but I believe I would have a better understand of its general meaning and more appreciation for the story as a whole if I was able to re-read it. 

No comments: